Monday, April 16, 2018

Nicole's Famous Coconut Cookies

I am an idiot, because I refuse to do my dishes when my apartment is this hot, but it doesn’t stop me from turning on the oven for 30 mins while I whip up some cookies.
image
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (I used a little less, see note)
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ cup butter
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.) Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually blend in the flour mixture, then mix in the coconut. This dough will be sticky! That's what makes them so flat and chewy in the middle. 
  3. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.
  4. Bake for 13-15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly toasted. Cool on wire racks.
I discussed this with my sister, and she suggested the way to make cookies that kind of flatten out and turn into nice big ones is to use a little more butter or a little less flour.  I am an overachiever of some kind, so I did both, but not by a lot.  Maybe a teaspoon more butter and a teaspoon less flour.  It sure worked though, these cookies are both my favorite and my most-requested cookies

No comments: