Thursday, January 17, 2008

Pasta with Bacon, Onions and Peas

I actually got this recipe off the back of the Gemelli box, but I liked it and it's one of the few recipes I don't alter, barring a couple of little things...



You need
2 cups of pasta, I like gemelli because of the informative recipe, and it's fun swirly shape
1/2 cup of pancetta, I subbed bacon because I had some in the house, about 4 strips, plus I cut the fat off.
1/2 an onion, chopped
1 cup of frozen peas
1-2 tbsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup fresh chopped basil, except I live in Canada and it's January, so the fresh herbs suck, so I subbed the freeze-dried kind. I use fresh in the summer and fall (parsley can be subbed too)
salt & pepper to taste

You can cook the pasta at the same time as the rest of the ingredients, they end up taking almost exactly the same time. But DON'T FORGET to turn the water on before you start cooking the rest of the stuff! I forget this all the time and it's really annoying to have to cook the noodles when the rest is done. Also, I use a fairly big pot because I can mix everything in it at the end.






While the water is on, chop the bacon and heat it up on medium-ish (think 6-7) for a couple of minutes. If you use pancetta, you'll probably have to put a little oil in the pan.











Then add onions and cook until they're soft



The water should be boiling around this time, so throw the pasta in









Add peas, pepper flakes and basil, sometimes I'll have to add a bit of water - no more than 1/4 cup, but judge for yourself whether you need it. Sometimes the bacon can be greasy, or you've added oil with pancetta, so it will be "saucy" or something similar. Cook this until the peas are tender, maybe 2-3 minutes. Add salt & pepper to taste, I find you don't need very much salt because of the salted, cured meat already in there.




Drain pasta, mix together and voila! Easy peasy, and tasty














And it looks nice on a white plate :)



Dr. Meta told me there wasn't much nutritional value in this meal, but if you drink it with a glass of milk, you've got all your food groups. Plus, if you cook for one, like me, you'll have leftovers for tomorrow's lunch.

No comments: