Monday, January 21, 2008

Asiago Hash Browns

1 (30 ounce) package hash browns
1 1/2 cups shredded asiago cheese
1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 green onions, chopped
1 cup sour cream
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup butter, melted
paprika to taste
salt & pepper to taste





Preheat the oven to 350


I didn't have any hash browns, and I was too lazy to go to the store, so I used mashed up tater tots :)












In a medium casserole dish, mix the hash browns, Asiago cheese, onions, sour cream, heavy cream, butter, paprika and salt & pepper.










Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until hash browns are fully cooked and the top is lightly browned. In retrospect, I think I cooked it a bit long - I'd check after 45 and see...












The original recipe called for the spices to be added last, which I thought was silly because there's a crust on the top, so I put them in before baking, and also added green onion, because I figured it needed a little color.
This was my first time trying this recipe, but I had some asiago cheese in the fridge that had been there a while, and also an onion that needed to be eaten, so I figured, hey. I like all those things mixed together.




All in all, it was good, but it was missing... something. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I will.

No comments: