Monday, June 1, 2009

Make Your Own Pasta Sauce pt 1

The ingredients in this recipe are approximations.
2 tbsp butter
1 clove minced garlic
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Basil
Parsley
1/2 cup white wine, mine was pretty sweet, but you can use anything
1 tbsp hot sauce, I used sriracha because it's nice and hot
1 cup milk or 3/4 cup cream
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 tbsp lemon juice (optional)

I was bored one day and decided to rummage around in my fridge and use up some ingredients to make my own pasta sauce. What could possibly go wrong, right?


I started with the butter and garlic. Let the garlic brown for a minute and the butter get a little bubbly and frothy.












Then I added Worchestershire sauce, a little handful of both basil and parsley, and white wine. Let that simmer a couple of minutes, until it comes to a rolling boil.











Add hot sauce and let the sauce cook for a few minutes. Everything should be melding together, except the butter tends to skim along the top, but that's fine.











I added the milk, but cream would have been better, probably. This isn't about going out to buy things, though, soooooooooo

Also, you can add lemon juice at this point, too. DON'T ADD LEMON JUICE BEFORE MILK. If you do, it'll congeal and be a giant mess and you'll have to pour it down the sink, like I did on my first batch.

I threw in parmesan too. Do what you feel like.

The key to reducing a sauce with milk or cream in it is to watch for the color to change. It takes a long time to boil down milk, but if you just keep whisking, it'll happen. When the color actually changes to a kind of yellowy-er color, it's almost done. Take it off the heat immediately when it's thick enough for your liking.

This sauce was good. I didn't stray too far from what I knew would be good in a pasta sauce, but the hot sauce in there was just enough to give it a little kick.

No comments: