Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Spaghetti a la Homer

This is one of those indulgent recipes, but it's simple and so good...
I do things in a very specific order, so get ready for detailed instructions. You'll probably get your own rhythm going after a try or two, but it takes a little bit of trial and error to get down.

1/2 cup butter (no subs)
1/2 cup shredded Myzithra cheese
Spaghetti










I always make sure the water is boiling and chuck the spaghetti in to cook before I do anything else. It doesn't take long to brown butter, but it's labor intensive, so you need to make sure you can pay attention to it alone.


Melt the butter over medium heat. Seems obvious enough, right? I went with 5-6 on my stove.












When it gets just a little foamy, get ready to do some whisking! I had fun whisking constantly and taking pictures at the same time tonight :)











You just have to stand and whisk for a few minutes until the butter starts to change color. Once it starts to change, it goes fast, so pay attention.











I think it took me from 6:21 to 6:26 to get it the right color.













You'll notice it get darker, so keep it over heat until it gets just darker than the color of caramel - it should have a slightly nutty scent to it. Take it off the heat immediately!










Pour butter over drained spaghetti and drain once more, so you don't have a pool of butter at the bottom of your plate.

Sprinkle with myzithra - I sprinkle some on and stir, then sprinkle more on top. Some recipes call for the cheese to be added to the hot butter, but I've found it melts too fast and makes a gloppy mess, so I just add it after.

No comments: